- Highlights: North Coast beaches, St Lucia, Big 5 Safari, Zulu Culture, Battlefields, Drakensberg
- No of days / nights: 10/9
- Tour starts: Durban
- Tour ends: Durban
- Includes: Accommodation and Car rental – Group B (VW Polo or similar)
- Accommodation: Combination of Comfort, Luxury and Guest House
- Set departures: All year round
Welcome to Durban. Upon arrival at King Shaka Inter national Airport you will collect your rental car and drive to your accommodation located in Ballito, a drive of around 15 minutes. The rest of the day at your own leisure.
Days at leisure. Suggested activities:
- Spend some time on Ballito’s beautiful Willard Beach
- Drive to Durban (approx. 1 hour from Ballito) where you can visit the popular uShaka Marine World with its informative aquarium, dolphinarium and waterpark which is fun for the whole family. Take a walk along Durban’s famous seafront promenade and browse the different wares on sale at Durban’s colourful India n Market
- Gateway Shopping Centre in Umhlanga is one of the Southern Hemisphere’s largest shopping complexes and has a lot more to offer than just shops
- The Natal Sharks Board in Umhlanga, where you can l earn more about these wonderful creatures, is also worth a visit.
Breakfast followed by checkout. Make your way to St Lucia, approximately 200 km from Ballito. In the afternoon you may choose to go on a sundowner boat cruise on the St Lucia estuary, with the chance to see large numbers of hippos and crocodiles.
Breakfast followed by checkout. Continue your journey northwards to Thanda Private Game Reserve, located 100 kms from St Lucia. Upon arrival check in to the luxuriously appointed Thanda Tented Camp and enjoy a delicious lunch. In the late afternoon you head out for a game drive in open 4×4 vehicles. After several hours you stop to enjoy a spectacular sunset with a sundowner drink and snacks before returning to the lodge in the dark, where you may be lucky to spot a rare nocturnal animal with the aid of powerful torches. Dinner is served upon your return to the lodge, weather permitting under the African stars.
Morning game activity followed by late breakfast. Several hours at your own leisure where you can either lie by the pool or enjoy reading on your deck. You may also have the possibility to visit the neighbouring Vula Zula Cultural Village where you will witness spellbinding traditional Zulu dancing and learn more about the Zulu history and culture. High tea is served in the early afternoon, followed by an afternoon game drive. A sumptuous dinner once again awaits you upon your return to the lodge.
Early morning game viewing activity followed by breakfast. After checkout make your way further inland to Isandlawana, which is located in the heart of the historic Battlefields area, approx. 300 km from Thanda.
Breakfast followed by checkout. If time permits join a tour of the nearby Isandlawana battle site and learn more about the famous Isandlawana battle where the Zulus annihilated the British.
Continue then with your journey to The Cavern Resort situated in the Drakensberg Mountains, approximately 250 kms from Isandlawana. Dinner is served in the resort’s popular restaurant .
Enjoy a full day in the mountains. Choose from going on an exhilarating hike in the mountains or following a guide for a horse ride surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty. There are also other activities on offer at the hotel such as a spa and many different sporting facilities. Enjoy a hearty dinner at the end of an eventful day.
Breakfast followed by check out. Drive back to Durban’s King Shaka Airport (approx. 300 km from The Cavern) and return the rental car before checking in for your onward bound flight.